Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing. – Macbeth
You can read the CCP and CSM statements here and see the video chat between The Mittani and Arnar here.
* CCP didn’t mention Hilmar’s email at all. I expected at least a statement from him, acknowledging that he was aware players were unhappy and was commited to fixing things. I would have been really impressed by an apology. CCP: -10 points
* “CCP acknowledges that the reaction following the leaked internal communication could have been handled better. Good communication and trust between CCP and the EVE community has always been a fundamental priority for CCP and will continue to be so.”
Is it that hard to write “we apologize”? I expected more humility. CCP: -5 points
* “It is CCP‘s plan that the Noble Exchange (NeX store) will be used for the sale of vanity items only. There are no plans, and have been no plans, as per previous communication and CSM meetings, to introduce the sale of game breaking items or enhancements in the NeX store.”
I’m sorry guys, but after we hammered and hammered and hammered on this issue, “no plans and have no plans” is just not good enough. We expected “will never be”. CCP: -50 points
* “CCP acknowledges that communication surrounding the launch of the virtual goods store should have been better. To address that, we will write up dev blogs that explain the pricing strategy of the NeX store and the price tiering system. We will also communicate that we intend to put the focus on further fleshing out the lower price range and give visual examples of upcoming items.”
Stop acknowledging, and start apologizing. No statement that $70 monocles and $30 pants are not micro-transactions, they are stupid. CCP: -5 points
* “The CSM raised concerns with performance running multiple clients after the Incarna launch where the minimum hardware spec will only support one client logged in when in a station environment. CCP will work on creating a minimum hardware spec that supports multiple clients, but wants it to be clear that the current minimum specification aims at single client with low settings.”
What about “acknowledging” the heat issues created? Also, “wants it to be clear” translates as “multiboxing clients are low on our priority list”. CCP: -10 points
* The CSM helped CCP understand the emotional connection players had with „ship spinning”. They vehemently demanded the return of the feature, which CCP committed to introduce in some form at a future date. Until that functionality is added back in, the option to load station environments will remain in the Settings menu.
“Committed to introduce in some form at a future date”. My head just exploded from vagueness overload. So we might get a low-res, bad copy of the original in 2014? That would be accurate according to the above. Expected: “Will be returning in a patch in the next 3 months.” CCP: -10 points
* No mention of CCP about the $99 Eve license issue. Yes, this should have been included, as it was a serious issue of discussion in the last week. CCP: -5 points.
* No mention of the Fearless/Greed newsletter issue. CCP: -2 points
* “Captain’s Quarters: We discussed the hardware and lighting issues within the CQ and we were satisfied that they were being addressed. We were pleased when Torfi announced that the current “Disabled Incarna Door” will be replaced with an environment that will provide similar functionality and performance to the pre-Incarna Hangar, and this environment will be available until Incarna performance is similar to pre-Incarna performance. While the final details and timelines have not been worked out, ships will once again spin all over New Eden.”
CSM gets points for going into more detail that CCP, but loses them by only getting “will be replaced with an environment that will provide similar functionality”. We want the original ship spinning back. CSM: -5 points
* “Noble Exchange Rollout Debacle: We were shocked and appalled to discover how badly the planning and implementation of the Noble Exchange was executed. Despite the fact that they did not have enough assets of the right types to do a proper rollout, they launched anyway. The CSM believes that if CCP had properly communicated the details of their vanity goods pricing strategy and had sufficient low-tier items available at launch, the controversy would have been greatly reduced. CCP will issue a dev blog in the near future explaining their vanity goods strategy and how it will be implemented in the Noble Exchange.”
We know all this; where’s the meat? That CCP will give us a dev blog? CSM: -10 points
* “Game-affecting Virtual Goods: We are convinced that CCP has no plans to introduce any game-affecting virtual goods, only pure vanity items such as clothing and ship skins. We have been repeatedly assured that there are no plans for ‘gold ammo’, ships which have different statistics from existing common hulls, or any other feared ‘game destroying’ virtual goods or services. We have expressed our deep concern about potential grey areas that the introduction of virtual goods permits, and CCP has made a commitment to discuss any proposals that might fall into these grey areas in detail with CSM at the earliest possible stage.”
I’m glad you’re convinced, but players want a concrete statement that game-mechanic virtual goods will NEVER be introduced. This was THE KEY ISSUE and you missed getting the commitment from CCP that players wanted. Close enough is not good enough. CSM: -50 points
* “The Fearless “Greed is Good?” Leak: We accept CCP’s position that Fearless is a deliberately controversial internal publication and does not represent the policy of CCP Management or of CCP Zulu, the Senior Producer of EVE Online, nor the direction of game design. ”
No problems here, I think only the most crazy conspiracy theory guys disbelieve this.
* “The Leaked Hilmar Global Email: We were appalled by the leaked Hilmar email and the atrocious and out-of-touch messaging it contained. We sympathize and agree with those players offended and disgusted by it.”
Nice language. I notice that Hilmar never shows up anywhere, and that you haven’t called on him to apologize or make a statement. CSM: -2 points
* “Arnar (CCP Zulu)’s Angry Friday Blog: We were disappointed by the tone taken in Arnar’s Blog, but we understand that he was in a state of extreme agitation and reacting to the leaks coming from within his company, which he saw as a breach of trust. While we may disagree with some of his decisions, we are united in our support of Arnar as the Senior Producer, and were pleased with his followup Apology Blog. We hope that his statement today will begin to restore your trust in his leadership and vision.”
No content here.
* “We believe that the situation that has unfolded in the past week has been a perfect storm of CCP communication failures, poor planning and sheer bad luck. Most of these issues, when dealt with in isolation, were reasonably simple to discuss and resolve, but combined they transformed a series of errors into the most significant crisis the EVE community has yet experienced.”
I believe part of this, but I also believe that CCP hasn’t come clean with enough humility, nor have they made statements strongly enough for me. I was hoping the CSM would get this out of them.
CCP score: -97 points
CSM score: -67 points